Tuesday, June 27, 2006

1st attempt and Intro of sorts

Well, this cetainly feels a bit like space age technology to me, which of course, dates me from sentence number one of my newest venture, blogging!

I have enjoyed surfing around and even lurking a good bit on others blogs for several months now and admit to being blown away, amused, saddened, encouraged and yes, even enraged at what I've read. However, mostly I've felt connected and informed and fulfilled by what I've come across.

So without further ado, I enter a whole new world. . .

My e-mail buddies will think I've lost my mind, my family will wonder why I'm not spending this time on them, and I myself am feeling quite like I have nothing to say all of the sudden!

So perhaps I shall begin with a brief introduction which I admit could take several turns if it were all inclusive or sound terribly boring if I just listed names and places so perhaps a bit of both.

About my blog address ~ acrosstheboardandback ~ this sums up much about my life for now and in this place.

I am a Mom to 6. wife to 1. My children are grouped loosely in groups of 2's. 2 grown and mostly gone from the nest, 2 in the middle years, and 2 who I still refer to both of as babies.
On any given day I can be found lending my oldest our lawnmower, taking a cell call from nearly 1200 miles away from the next about some obscure question about life in general, arbitrating between an almost 14 year old and his younger sister of 11 about a friend, a phone, or a video game, all the while changing 2 sets of diapers for 2 very different size bums!

This is not an adventure I came upon in a planned sort of way (obviously! who would plan this?) or one that I am currently very fond of at the ripe old age of 43. I do love each of my children with what seems to be increasing fervor for each of them and yet I can't help but think of "what could have been" had I stopped at 2 or possibly even 4 total. So am I a bad person? No, just regularly overwhelmed by the responsibilities of my life!

My husband finds his life much unchanged with the passing of married years and the addition of family members. He gets up, goes to work (same stable job of as many years as our marriage), comes home, wants dinner(and sometimes even gets it!) and fulfills whatever husbandly/fatherly duties we place in front of him on a regular basis. Mind you I am not foolish enough not to appreciate this solid rock in my life of ever changing emotions and parenting crisises; however, there are times, I just long for him to understand more concretely what my life feels like to me personally!

I occasionally read a blog where the writer seems so in tune with what I am feeling in this area of "living life" I just want to shout "someone truly understands!" so I will share this with my husband who just truly does not get it at all! "where do you know her from ?" would be a standard comment! ey-yi-yi.

So here I sit trying to type out a few of my thoughts and doing less than a stellar job of it but enjoying a few minutes while my 1 year old naps, my 3 year old spills cocoa pebbles on the couch, my 11 year old tells my 13 year old how to clean it up, and my almost 19 year old calls once more to check his flight times home for a one week vacation before it is back to his 3rd semester of college life (yes, over the summer, the plan is a 4 year degree in 3 years including an 18 month internship overseas. . .).

Enough for now, I need to refill my cup with Diet Coke and lemon or lime and see if I can get a chore done before baby number 6 demands my time.

Anyone out there think I'm hopeless, helpless, or frighteningly normal? love to hear others are making the grind a bit more likable by sharing it with another somewhat isolated mom.

My first attempt, Kim

5 comments:

Salar37_Shushan said...

Well, I liked your intro :-D

I'm a Mom of two, wife of one in VA

There are days I'd love to have another baby to change, but that's not likely right now. My husband has had all sorts of health challenges especially in the last few years (finally getting to the end of his surgeries this summer. Yay!!!). I promise not to be jealous of your stability because God has provided abundantly! :-D

Sounds like you are at the core of a very interesting family. I look forward to reading your next blog!

Susan :-D

kim said...

Thanks shushan! As you can tell, I am still trying to fit blogging into my life but I do so enjoy the reading part.

College son is home and it is sweet. He loves us and we are happy to see him!

Health issues are tough ones, so is growing old I find! Around here, most of them are mine and I do not pay attention to them and seriosly need to. Always something else to do.

God ALWAYS sends someone to remind me of what a blessing these little/big/and in between monsters of mine are lest I forget! Thanks for being that someone.

My mind just wonders into another world frequently and thinks about stuff like a job, time for rest, leading a bible study (which I love to do), trips alone with my hubby. . .that kind of tempting stuff and then reality sets in and I remember someone has to change the babies, cook dinner, do luandry, settle arguments, and on it goes.

But tonight, when all 5 of my "at home kiddos" where standing around a chair my hubby was sitting in I screeched, "Stop! Look! this is my life everyday" I think it was a moment of clarity for my husband! The college age child offered to go back to school, the middle two were soon off to the gameboy again and I soon had to put the little ones out of their misery and tuck them in for the night so it didn't last long but oh, there are some great moments.

Sarah said...

Kim, loved the last line--"making the grind a bit more likable." That's perfect! And thank you for your comment at my site. It was worth getting out, but oh my word, was I tired by the time I got home!!

Shawna said...

It may get lonely sometimes, but as you are busy with the business of life, know that all of us other moms have our hands full, too! The trick to it, I think for me is to remind myself that, truly, there is nothing I'd rather be doing.

Salar37_Shushan said...

and there's no job on Earth more important than taking care of those God calls precious.

It is good to take a few minutes to read what the other Moms are up to now and then, I agree.

So, Kim, how are your holidays going?

*hint hint*

;)

Susan in VA