Friday, January 02, 2009

January 2, 2009

Emory wants to know how much longer until his 6th birthday. he is tired of hearing oh about a month, or about 4 weeks . That answer is old. So today I told him 27 more days. He is much happier with that answer. Perhaps it is a great opportunity to fine tune his understanding of days and weeks and months and years. Such a big concept for a little one who has lived such a short span of time. He asked me this morning after remembering to rip off day one on his new desk top calendar, "Why are we keeping track of the days anyway Mommy?" Oh my little one, what a good question you ask! Emory is my thinker for sure. He loves a good count down to the next event. Proof for certain he is his Mamas boy. I, who live for events and seem to only get bogged down in the day to day understand his anticipation and need for events.

Last night was an event. We celebrated Dominic's 7th birthday with dinner at Chili's with Jeremy and Jineen, most of Jineen's family, me and all my kiddos. Dom seemed to have a good time, I know Emory did. Jillie had a fine time after she was able to move closer to the action but her early seating right next to her Mommy proved best for dinner eating purposes.

I need to "go out with God" (Oswald Chambers this morning!) now and get to the buisness of the mundane if you will. Never know what God will make of it! IT to include starting to undecorate the house from Christmas, it will look so bare. Trying to catch up on laundry. Bedding and towels as well. With Zach leaving in a few short days I must catch up with all of his things for sure. Thinking on where the weekly budget needs to be spent (fun stuff like do we have enough tp for the week, how about margarine or chocolate milk syrup, do we have birthdays or other things to cover, and always the milk and diet soda supply), and the ever present errands for a family. Today it is a trip to the library before I run Kiley up to Hannah's for a birthday party.
It's always the mundane things that weigh me down. I try to have a good attitude about it, even find ways to make it fun but inevitably, it is just so much more to get done. Not so much joy in crossing things off a list for me, I'm a more "wow, look at what I found in this kind of girl" Meaning a nugget of truth in my bible reading, a fun recipe in a magazine to try, an especially good book I come across, a new way of getting a stain out of something or cleaning something that makes it better, a special moment with one of the kiddos, oh, on and on. Perhaps that is why God has given me what He has. There is much depth and breadth (is that a word?) in taking care of this big house and this multitude of children. Nothing simple about that. Always something new or happening.

So I am off for now. Praying this day will be His, lead by Him and lived out for Him. I can find joy in that right?!

Keepin' it real, Kim

No comments: