Monday, August 07, 2006

He's Off

After almost an hour delay, his flight has departed.

That means by my time 2am, the hubby will be arriving in Frankford, Germany at their time, 8am and hit the ground running, so to speak. I pray he was able to sleep across the Atlantic. I pray he can function properly at 2am, his body pretending it is 8am and checking out of the airport and customs and going straight to the office there. . .

He is actually one incredible guy, this hubby of mine. As he held me in his arms as I bawled last night for no apparent good reason other than my fear that he would not come back safely from this international week long trip. It is an irrational fear right? Lots of people do this all the time I know but not my hubby.

So, although he has never been overseas before and had to be ready to go into work (here at home) this morning (he left before 6am this morning) before he came home to pack and leave for airport this afternoon, he spent all week end with his family, away from home. And let me tell you, home is most often where my hubby wants to be when he is not at work. He never seems to have enough time here. Yet, instead of "puttering" around here, we were off to a Family reunion 3 and 1/2 hours away.

We often make the trip a "day trip" albeit a long one. This time hubby let me book a room to make it a bit less rushed and a little more leisurely. The reunion itself was neither great nor awful so average is kind of nice for a change. We were able to get away at a reasonable time, drive over to our hotel and check in before we headed to a local amusement park. What a fun time that was as well. And the late night swim after. And the nice big suite and the super comfy beds, the wonderful breakfast buffet, and then back to the amusement park for a few more hours. I thought we would head right home but no, hubby wanted the kiddos to have more time to enjoy trip. We ended up leaving there much later than I thought we would, and hubby still had to drive home. We made it home inside of 10pm but that was still plenty late after all week end. Only a guy totally committed to his family would try to fit in all of that right before going away!

And now, he's off. I cried again, when he left. I already miss him. And, well, one incredible guy.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

How blessed you are to have such a fine family man. I'll be in prayer for your fears to be calmed, for your household to run smoothly in his absence, and for his safe return home.

Tammy said...

Ahh...I understand your fears, I get them too.
Although my husband isn't having to go away these days, he sure did when we were first married...and for a LONG time! He was in the Navy so we had to endure some long deployments.

Blessings to all of you while he is gone.

And I wanted to say that I read your post below...that was so sweet- and all too true- about what your three year old said. The hands do keep spinning around and around...how important to treasure each moment.

Take care- and may the time hubby is away fly by for you!

boomama said...

I love reading a post about a woman who loves her husband. :-) Many blessings to your family while he's away - and I'm saying a prayer for his safe return.