Thursday, August 10, 2006

He's stuck, but safe

Can not even believe on his first trip "across the pond".

In a Heathrow airport hotel is where he stayed last night to fly out to Dublin this morning.

Not sure if anyone heard the news this morning but a terrorist attack was thwarted at Heathrow (the likes/size of 911 they believe) and the airport is chaotic. Closed down for now.

Still stuck at airport, trying to retrieve luggage. Alternate plans (for now) have him getting in a day late with no further buisness happening, just trying to get home.

Thank You in advance for all your prayers.

UPDATE: I was able to keep in touch via cell phone/e-mail most of the morning hours but than I did not hear anything until 5pm this afternoon. It was a long day no matter which side of the ocean you were on today I think.

Latest update is this.
He was finally able to leave Heathrow Airport this afternoon. His luggage had already been checked through to Dublin so is being rerouted back here to the states, home in fact. He asked me to watch for it, like lugage matters to me at this point! Tracking down luggage and finding alternative means of travel home took all day.


Latest travel plans for now.
He will stay overnight in London again but not at airport, closer into the city. He will then take a train to Birmingham (and yes that is the city where several of the suspected terrorist have been picked up and arrested) and spend the next night there. On Saturday he flies out to Frankfort, Germany and then on to Philadelphia and home. Still not much more than a day or so late, if all connections happen and flights don't get cancelled again.


Praises: He has been able to keep in touch with me for most part. He almost checked his phone thru (no taking it on plane now) when he heard his flight cancelled.
Although his words this morning were "It is pure chaos here." He seemed very calm and ever reassuring to his wife.
He was able to make alternate travel arrangements.
I have only cried twice, away from the children and remained mostly calm and in control. What else is there to do really?

Prayer: He has only his phone, no charger, it is in checked luggage. Pray his phone will hold a 3 day charge!
He has only the clothes on his back for the next two nights in hotels/planes/trains and he is a male. Will he shop? Doubtful.
Please pray Birmingham is peaceful and calm and there is no trouble with the train, etc. as it seems to be a hot spot for this group of terrorist.

Thank You again. Kim for my clan.

PS after I heard from him around 5pm (10 pm his time) I just had to get away from this computer for a while. I piled the kids in the van and took them to Friendly's. Dinner and ice cream. Then I went to Old Navy for some shopping therapy. I needed to get my hubby a new swimsuit but did not do it before he left and felt the sudden need to do it today,the mind works in strange ways hhhmm.

Home and exhausted.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh my! I'll be praying!

Tammy said...

Me too!
Keep us posted Kim!

Brenda said...

Linking from my blog to send others to pray as well.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Good grief, Kim!! Of course I'll be praying!! Thank God he's okay.

Michelle said...

Will definately be praying. My dh used to work for a European Company (yes, during the 9-11 time period) and I couldn't help wondering what I would have done if he had been "stuck" in Europe that week...he wasn't because we had just had our sweet little boy. AND we had to tell our parents (just 3 weeks) after 9-11 that we were moving to NY!

I hope you are having some peace. BTW, we love Friendly's! When we lived in NY that was our favorite "comfort food" outing.

Heather said...

Our prayers are with you.