Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Feeling Grateful for my Home


This is the image that is burned into my mind tonight as I think of what could have been.
Last night I had a guest in my home until 11pm. I drove her home and returned at almost exactly midnight. All was calm and quiet in my neighborhood on a Tuesday evening at that hour. I needed some time to decompress after a particularly busy day and night. I sat down at my kitchen counter on this comuputer next to my kitchen window. I had watched the lightening flashing for nearly an hour before the actual rain began. And it was a loud, earth shaking violent rain storm. But short lived. I prepared for bed and was ready to lie down by 1:15am or so. I had taken some medication is the only thing I can come up with as to why I didn't hear the goings on just a short time later. Even my heavy sleeper of a husband said he heard more violent thunderstorms moving through and sirens nearby. I never heard a thing.
Today when I had only been up a little while, Mark called home to see if I had been out and about yet today and I said no, why? he proceeded to tell me about a neighbors home that was no longer. I popped Emory and the girls into the car and drove around the block to the sight you see above. I slowed as I approached the driveway to find a middle aged lady speaking with another young mom and kids (neighbors I believe). I rolled my window down and asked if everyone was safe? yes, she said in a dazed sort of way, so I said I would be praying for them and drove on. I felt the tears stinging my eyes at the loss.
Why did lightening choose that home? Why did it burn so quickly? Why had I seen absolutely nothing out of the ordinary as I drove at 20 miles per hour right by the front yard of this home less then 90 minutes before 911 was called?
I do believe the house was basically empty as it was on the market and from frequently driving by (every single time I leave my home I have to drive by)it appeared to be unoccupied altho the lawn was beautifully maintained all the time. The gentleman in the driveway was going through a few boxes in the garage.
It is so sad. And yet, it is such a relief to know it is only a material thing. If you look closely at the photo you can see that the neighboring house's siding is almost completely melted away on the one side. Scary hot heat to do something like that. And that house is fully occupied.
So tonight, as I reflect on that image, I am thankful for my house. My home. Which is so often a huge effort for me to maintain to any standard of decency. I love to have people in. I love to offer hospitality. But often do not because I feel my home is not put together enough or clean enough. This week and next I have had/will have house company nearly non stop. What if that home were mine?
Tonight I am grateful for my home. Dirt, mess and not perfectness and all. Each object within it's walls seem more perfect tonight. Each member of my household, including the one "overnight guest" of the evening seem more important. Why does it take such stark tragedy for us to stop and see the blessings right in our path?
Tonight, I see them and am grateful.

No comments: