Sunday, July 09, 2006

things we do for our kids and movies with no end. .

For instance, we are not a "watch tv regularly or go to the movies" type of family. We are just usually way to busy for such. However, occasionally, it's a big deal if a new movie comes out in theaters or on video (or is that DVD that I should be saying these days?) that we have particularly been looking forward to or heard about, etc.

Such was the case a while back. I was actually kind of excited because hubby had agreed to sit with the kids and I and we would all watch the just released on DVD, first in the series, Lord of the Rings movie. Now see, I was excited for very different reasons than my childen I am certain.

Some pride was involved here. I mean, after all, my childern had chosen JR Tolikien and CS Lewis (yup, did the whole Narnia thing too) over some other type reading (no comments on what that would have/could have been) . Anyway, back to the big movie night.

So it is a Saturday night. My children have already seen this movie in the theaters and are anxious to watch it again to pick up on even more of the minute differences they have already found in it and the actual book. Oh, and maybe they are kind of interested in the actors/costuming and the action stuff too (so they are teen agers!) . Popcorn is done, drinks are had all around and the movie begins.

This is not my favorite kind of movie at all mind you. And apparently I have not read the complete works of Tolikien so I am asking really lame questions as we go along. So it is at least an hour into this thing when I think to ask how long it is and am greeted with silence. So again I ask doesn't anyone know? Where is that box? Okay so it's 3 hours long. . .and it is Saturday night (ya know, before church??) and we started well after 9pm . . .groan.

And to cap off the night, this movie has no ending!! It totally leaves you hanging for the next movie which is not to be realeased for like another year or something! I was just dumbfounded. How could I be so clueless my family wonders. I mean it is like reading half a book or something and putting it down for a year or so?! I rarely read a book in more than one sitting anyway. Just have to finish them. ie-yi-yi!

But my children are quite happy that we had a family movie night after all so I get over it. Flash forward to tonight.

College boy is going back to school tommorow, he flies out in the late afternoon. Church is in the morning and then we eat, and pack and off he goes. What would he like to do for his last night home we ask? We decide on dinner and. . .you got it, a movie. Besides forking out top dollar for Saturday night movie tickets, (I did not have time to go to Costco and pick up discounted ones ) This movie is sold out until 9:45pm. That's okay, it's a sequel the boys really want to see.

I should be wiser by now, but no, I have not seen the first movie altho it has sat on our shelf for over a year I believe. So I think oh well, just go with the flow.

Dinner, btw, is great. We tried a new place and loved it. Plenty of time to get to the movie. Even time to stop at dollar store for yummies. And 9:45 doesn't sound so late. The last 7 shows have been sold out all day so we think we should get there a bit early to secure good seats. I think 9:10pm is more than a bit early. I am proved wrong by the more than half full theater. And then there are the half hour of commercials after the 9:45 start time . . .all this before I think to ask how long is this movie anyway?? "150 minutes I think Mom." oh. Saturday night again. . .

Okay, so I call home, check on the babysitting daughter who assures me baby #1 is down for the night and #2 is on his way.
Oh, well okay, I can sit back and relax. Might as well enjoy, I did pay for this. . .

I can't follow a thing for the whole first hour! I'm lost since I did not see first movie I'm thinking. I finally become engrossed enough to forget the hour/length of this thing and decide even though it is really kind of ugly/scary it's okay, I'm into it. But you already know what is coming don't you? There is no ending!! aaahhh! Can you even believe? A shameless 2 and a half hour flick to get me to come back and see the third movie?

The boys thought it was great. My hubby agreed with me for once but also thought it had it's moments. All I could think is I should have gone home after dinner!

So, the things we do for our kids and movies with no endings.

BTW, this was not a movie from high literture if you must know. It was one of those movies I have no personal interest in outside of the Disney ride it ties itself too, because I do love Disney and I do love Disney rides. . .so for those of you who love adventure, this one was for you. All I have to say is

aarrrggghh matey, next time let me know how long the voyage is to be.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Hi...thanks for stopping by my blog! :)
I enjoyed reading your post- it was great! As for that movie, my hubby really wants to see it, but may go with a few friends from church. (whew!) I'm just not an action-movie kind of gal! But I think it's great that you sat through it for family sake! :)
I'll bookmark ya' in my favorites and be back!
Blessings,
~Tammy

boomama said...

I can't make it through a whole movie anymore. Just can't. I either fall asleep or start reading a magazine or get on the computer. Some sort of postnatal ADD, I think. :-)

Thanks for stopping by and commenting - and I have no doubt that you'll be completely addicted to blogging in no time. :-)